While pregnant with Hadley I gained a total of 50 pounds, okay maybe a few more. When I first found out I was pregnant I thought I'd only gain 25. That would be a healthy amount, right!? Wrong, I ate and ate and ate! By 20 weeks I had already gained 25 pounds. Well now I'm paying for it. I easily lost 30 pound in the first 3 months. Then lost about another 5 in the next few months. But since Hadley was six months old I haven't lost a single pound. Starting in January each week I say to myself I am going to do better... but it just hasn't happened yet. Finally I decided maybe if I blog about it I will be accountable not only to myself but to the few people who read our blog.
So why do I want to lose the weight? It's not just about the number, but it is a little bit. It is also about the way my clothes fit. I am not willing to by a new wardrobe. I would like to be able to wear my jeans all day and not be in pain from the marks on my hips. I would like to look in the mirror and not think " wow I look pregnant in this!" I want to feel good about myself. I want to be healthy! I want to be healthier than I was before I got pregnant. Yes, I was small before I had Hadley, but I wouldn't consider myself super healthy. I was not in shape and I did not eat the kind of food I should have been. While I was pregnant I have hypertension. I had to be on medication and was induced 2 weeks early. This did not make since to any of my doctors. I was young and "healthy". I hope that if I'm in good shape for my next pregnancy I wont have to go through that. Maybe it wont make a difference, and that's just the way my body responds to pregnancy, but either way I want to be healthy! I want to be a good example to Hadley. She wants to eat everything I do. If I eat fruits and vegetable she wants fruits and vegetable, if I eat candy and chips she wants candy and chips.
What am I going to do to lose the weight?
1. No soda. At least for 16 weeks. This is going to be that hardest thing for me. I L-O-V-E LOVE Dr. Pepper! But it's no good! Empty calories. Caffeine. Doesn't hydrate you. NO GOOD!
2. Limited sweets. Very limited. Now I can't cut out chocolate completely. That is just unrealistic. But I think a treat once a week is okay!
3. Lots of water. I often get headaches during the day and I think its because I don't drink enough water. Not only will it hydrate me, drinking a glass of water before I eat will help me to fill more full and to eat less.
4. Smaller portions. I don't plan on really changing what we eat for dinner with the exception of more vegetables and smaller portions of the main dish.
5. Fruit & Veggies. Eat lots of fruits and veggies. That's it! Just do it! If I want a snack grab and apple, not a handful of chocolate chips. Smoothies is a great breakfast and great way to get lots of fruits and veggies. Bonus: Hadley also loves the smoothies.
6. Fast Food. This one is also difficult for me. I will admit I love fast food. Lately its been mozzarella sticks from Sonic. But I need to limit it. I'm not going to say I will cut it out completely, because sometime I just don't want to or am too tired or don't have time to make dinner. But if we go out maybe try Subway or if I get a hamburger-- no fries. And of course no DP.
7. Exercise, Exercise, Exercise! I should be able to exercise 5-6 days a week. Lets face it, I have time. I watch several hours of TV a day. Hadley ALWAYS wants to go "Bye, Bye." She would love it if we went on more runs!!
My goal is to loss fifteen pounds in 16 weeks. I would also like to lose 5 more. But I'm going to start with 15. If I am strict I think I can do it. It is also important to note that this need to be a new Lifestyle for me. This is not just a diet! I am going to blog each week to see how I have done. And will weight myself every 4 weeks.
I also have motivation clothing. The Christmas after I had Hadley I got two skirts I have not been able to wear them yet. I hope that in 16 weeks I will be able to wear them!